Written by Cristina Pissarouk 2023
Turkish towels, also known as pestemal or hammam towels, are a type of lightweight and absorbent cotton towel that originate from Turkey. While Turkish towels are commonly used for drying off after a bath or shower, they can also offer some benefits for skin issues.
As someone who struggles with skin issues such as acne and has overall highly sensitive skin, finding a suitable towel which doesn’t irritate my skin can be tricky. Though it is often thought of as a teenage problem, acne can occur in people of any age, though it grows less common as time goes on. Still, over 25% of women and 12% of men in their 40s report having acne (Johns Hopkins Medicine).
The fabric used for bath towels is typically referred to as Terry. On the borders, the manufacturer may occasionally add rayon. To make towels, terry is the most used fabric, and it is absorbent to the fabric's loops. These loops can oftentimes be abrasive towards sensitive skin and they hold more bacteria within the loops which can worsen skin issues by spreading bacteria, even when the towel has been washed (Lapidos, R). Making the switch to Turkish towels has made a substantial difference in my face and my body acne within only a few months.
How do Turkish towels aid Skin Issues?
Finding solutions or remedies to help aid acne and skin issues can feel like a long search with often few effective findings. My curiosity was naturally sparked when switching over to Turkish towels had such a large effect on my acne. After further research, I have a great understanding of why they work so well. Here are the ten main reasons why Turkish towels can aid acne and other skin issues;
- Softness: Turkish towels are made from 100% cotton, which is a soft and gentle fabric. Using a soft towel can be particularly beneficial for people with sensitive skin or skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis, which can be irritated by rough or scratchy fabrics (Lapidos, R).
- Absorption: Turkish towels are highly absorbent and can soak up a lot of water. This can be beneficial for people with oily skin or acne, as excess oil and sweat can contribute to breakouts. Drying your face with a Turkish towel can help remove excess moisture and oil (Lapidos, R).
- Hygiene: Turkish towels are quick-drying, which can help prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi. This can be particularly beneficial for people with acne or other skin conditions that are worsened by bacteria (Weiner, Z).
- Gentle on Skin: Turkish towels are made from natural cotton fibres, which are gentle on the skin and do not cause irritation or allergies. This makes them suitable for people with sensitive skin (Lapidos, R).
- Hydration: Turkish towels are very absorbent, and they can help to lock in moisture on the skin. This can help to prevent dryness, flakiness, and itchiness, which are common skin issues (Team, V).
- Natural Fibers: Turkish towels are made from natural fibres, which are free from chemicals and synthetic materials. This means that they do not contain harmful substances that can irritate or damage the skin (Lapidos, R).
- Softness: Turkish towels are made from 100% cotton, which is a soft and gentle fabric. Using a soft towel can be particularly beneficial for people with sensitive skin or skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis, which can be irritated by rough or scratchy fabrics (Weiner, Z).
Good Skin Health Comes from Good Habits
Good skin health indeed comes from good habits. The skin is the largest organ of the body and serves as a barrier between the body and the outside world. It protects the body from environmental factors such as sunlight, pollution, and bacteria, and also regulates body temperature and moisture levels (Johns Hopkins Medicine). Two important skin habits to keep up with are keeping skin clean as well as hydrated, Turkish towels aid greatly with both. Washing your face and body regularly helps remove dirt, oil, and bacteria that can clog pores and cause breakouts. Use a gentle cleanser that's appropriate for your skin type, and avoid over-cleansing, which can strip the skin of its natural oils (Lapidos, R). Staying hydrated is very important as well, drinking plenty of water helps keep the skin hydrated and flushes out toxins from the body. Aim for at least 8 glasses of water a day.
Making the switch to Turkish towels is cost-effective
Skincare can be expensive, especially when experimenting with different products to find a remedy that works well with your skin. Switching to Turkish towels can be a cost-effective choice for several reasons (Team, V). Firstly, Turkish towels are known for their durability, which means that they last longer than other types of towels. This means that you won't have to replace them as frequently, which can save you money in the long run.
Secondly, Turkish towels are made from high-quality cotton that becomes softer and more absorbent with each wash. This means that they will retain their quality and absorbance over time, so you won't have to buy new towels as often (Weiner, Z).
Thirdly, Turkish towels are versatile and can be used in various ways, such as beach towels, bath towels, wraps, and blankets. This means you can buy one type of towel that can serve multiple purposes, which can be more cost-effective than buying different types of towels for different uses.
Lastly, Turkish towels are lightweight and take up less space than traditional towels (Team, V). This means that you can fit more towels in your washing machine and dryer, which can save you money on your water and electricity bills.
Turkish towels have allowed my skin to improve greatly within a short time and since finding acne-aiding remedies can be tricky, I can say from personal experience the remedy of switching to these towels is effective. Turkish towels are soft enough for sensitive skin and keep bacteria away from the skin due to their woven material (Team, V). They also keep the skin hydrated all while allowing you to save money on towels in the long run. Switching to Turkish towels is bound to allow your skin to thrive.
Acne. Acne | Johns Hopkins Medicine. (n.d.). Retrieved February 24, 2023, from https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/acne
Lapidos, R. (2022, November 6). How dirty towels can cause pimples. Well+Good. Retrieved February 28, 2023, from https://www.wellandgood.com/dirty-towels-cause-acne-skin-conditions/
Team, V. (2022, March 1). What are the benefits of Turkish cotton towels? Vision Linens. Retrieved March 2, 2023, from https://www.visionlinens.com/blog/benefits-of-turkish-cotton-towels
Weiner, Z. (2021, January 14). A derm reveals what to look for in a towel that will get you dry without effing up your skin. Well+Good. Retrieved February 23, 2023, from https://www.wellandgood.com/best-towels-for-skin/